Jan. 6 prosecutors and officers see Trump’s $1.776 billion fund as a signal

By MS NOW
May 20, 2026, 7:46 AM EST
1
View
Listen to this article

The Trump administration has set aside $1.776 billion in taxpayer money to compensate people it deems victims of government “weaponization,” a figure that echoes the rallying cry of the Jan. 6 rioters who are now eligible to collect from it.

The dollar figure is not coincidental, according to former Justice Department prosecutors, congressional investigators and domestic extremism researchers. It is a direct nod to 1776, the year the U.S. declared independence from Britain. It is also a number that Capitol rioters invoked as they breached the building on Jan. 6, 2021 — in chants, on flags and in Proud Boys planning documents titled “1776 Returns,” which laid out a scheme to seize federal buildings and force a new election. Trump supporters co-opted the patriotic year as a rallying cry for their “1776 moment” to overturn the 2020 election results.

“That number didn’t just appear arbitrarily,” said Michael Fanone, a former officer with the Metropolitan Police Department in Washington, D.C., who was beaten by rioters while defending the Capitol and lawmakers. “Like everything else, it’s a branding thing. Donald Trump is trying to rebrand January 6th insurrectionists as great American patriots.”

People convicted in the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the U.S. Capitol can apply for “formal apologies” and payments from the fund — including those found guilty of assaulting police officers. 

Pressed by reporters Tuesday, Vice President JD Vance, who previously said violent insurrectionists would not be pardoned, refused to rule anything out.

“We’re going to look at everything case by case,” Vance told MS NOW’s Jake Traylor. “I’m not committing to giving anybody money or committing to giving no one money.”

Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche delivered a similar message to lawmakers Tuesday, telling them that eligibility decisions will rest with a new “Truth and Justice Commission.” Every member of that board will be appointed by Blanche, who is Trump’s former personal attorney; only one appointment requires consultation with Congress, and the president “can remove any member,” according to a Justice Department announcement of the fund.

The White House, asked about the prospect of payments to rioters convicted of violent offenses and why the fund totals exactly $1.776 billion, referred questions to the Justice Department. The department did not respond to MS NOW’s request for comment.

For former prosecutors and investigators who built cases against the rioters, the figure reads as a deliberate signal.

“So many of them use the rhetoric of the American Revolution to justify their actions,” said Tim Heaphy, a former U.S. attorney who was chief investigative counsel for the House Jan. 6 committee. “It’s an alternate universe that there would be any credible claim that they are entitled to damages.”

Top Stories

The Daily Fresh