Iran responds to U.S. proposal for ending war amid ongoing hostilities
Iran has responded to the United States’ proposal to end the war, a senior foreign diplomat in Tehran linked to the peace negotiations told MS NOW Sunday.
It was not immediately clear what Iran’s response entailed. But it came one day after top Trump officials met in Miami with Qatar’s prime minister as the war entered its tenth week and more than a month after the Pakistani-brokered ceasefire agreement between Washington and Tehran.
“This is a positive step but any ending is still a long way down the road,” the source said of Iran’s response to the most recent proposal. “Mistrust needs to be seriously reduced and atmospherics need to be substantially improved.”
President Donald Trump has repeatedly insisted the ceasefire remains intact despite the continued exchange of hostilities and mirroring naval blockades. The U.S. launched strikes against Iran last week in retaliation for an attack on U.S. Navy destroyers, with Trump initially dismissing it as just “a love tap.”
Trump said in a wide-ranging interview aired Sunday on “Full Measure” that the U.S. has hit “probably 70 percent” of its targets and that Iran has “no leaders” and “no military.” But he added that combat operations have not ended.
Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian said in an X post Sunday, “We will never bow our heads before the enemy, and if talk of dialogue or negotiation arises, it does not mean surrender or retreat.”
U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Mike Waltz said in a Sunday interview on ABC’s “This Week” that Ayatollah Mojtaba Khamenei “has been severely injured” and is “difficult to get a hold of.” He acknowledged that negotiations are taking “longer and slower, I think, than anyone would like” but said “those negotiations and that diplomacy is ongoing.”
Related Posts
More in Military & Veterans
Top Stories
CENTCOM commander calls Rep. Moulton’s Iran war remark ‘inappropriate’
Jeff Foxworthy stand-up special ‘The Joke’s On Me’ premieres June 1
Trump’s Iran strategy faces its hardest test as Tehran refuses to bend
NFL owners unanimously vote to bring Super Bowl LXIV to Nashville’s new $2 billion stadium in 2030
Trump targets Rep. Thomas Massie in Kentucky’s record-spending primary
Blanche said he won’t recommend a Maxwell pardon. Trump could still grant one.
Hegseth shrugs off ethical limits, hits the campaign trail to slam Trump target
Judge blocks ICE courthouse arrests after government admits false claims
Democrats slam Trump over ‘dangerous and indefensible gift to Vladimir Putin’