Cassidy prepares to face voters in Louisiana
Today’s installment of campaign-related news items from across the country.
* In Louisiana, Republican Sen. Bill Cassidy will face voters on Saturday in a GOP primary against Rep. Julia Letlow, who enjoys Donald Trump’s backing and is expected to fare well against the incumbent. That said, there are others in the race, and if no candidate tops 50%, the top two vote-getters will advance to a June 27 runoff.
* Republican Rep. Tom Kean Jr. of New Jersey hasn’t made a public appearance in two months, and despite written assurances that he’ll “soon” return to work, there have been no disclosures about the illness that’s kept him away from Capitol Hill. Late last week, however, a member of the incumbent’s political operation told Politico, “Of course Congressman Kean is running for re-election.” Kean currently represents one of the nation’s most competitive congressional districts.
* In Nebraska, Democrats will vote Tuesday in this year’s weirdest Senate primary. Many Democratic officials and activists believe independent Dan Osborn stands the best chance against incumbent Republican Sen. Pete Ricketts, and with this in mind, Cindy Burbank, considered one of the top contenders in the Democratic primary, has said she plans to drop out if she wins this week. Burbank, however, is running against an anti-abortion pastor named William Forbes, a Trump voter who appears to be a GOP plant in the Democratic contest.
Related Posts
More in US News
Top Stories
Bright Side: May 18, 2026
Toledo girl at center of controversial arrest video arrested Monday in shooting case
Trump’s Iran strategy faces its hardest test as Tehran refuses to bend
Idaho Gov Brad Little defeats crowded GOP primary field in third-term bid
Local taxi owner is living her dream and hoping to inspire others
How Trump survives blunders through repetition and message discipline
Toledo educator uses football to teach life skills at free youth camp
Trump-Xi summit raises caution as Xi pushes aggressive Cold War 2.0 stance
CENTCOM commander calls Rep. Moulton’s Iran war remark ‘inappropriate’